Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Europa CQs 01.11.2007.xls

Title: Bjorn Freeman
Martin (and everyone else involved in Europa),
But let me also say that I'm sort of alarmed by the fact that the cutoff date for 3rd
party contributions is Jan.31st for a release targeted end of June.
You'll pleased(?) to know that it alarms us at the EMO as well. However, Janet and her team spent a fair amount of time trying to determine how much work there will be and what deadline was needed in order to accomplish the work before the Europa release.
... due to lack of resources. Is there a bottleneck? How does that compare to
other Open Source initiatives like Apache or Sourceforge?
Apache and Sourceforge do not vett third-party contributions; Eclipse does. This IP cleanliness guarantee is a clear value to the Eclipse members. Consequently, the Board of Directors requires all Eclipse projects to continue to follow the defined IP Policy. The EMO is not at liberty to change that Policy.
But it feels like there's a desperate need for good ideas how to improve things.

Perhaps it would help to find ways how we can better leverage and pull 3rd party
libraries out of their native homes at runtime rather than investing so much time
into finding out whether we can redistribute them ourselves? - Anybody with
good ideas please speak up!
The problem isn't where the libraries come from but rather whether they are IP clean. You can probably figure out some work around the rules where you download the libraries from another place but (a) many of them are explicitly not allowed by the IP Policy (i.e., you're not the first to think of this idea) and (b) no matter where the libraries come from (eclipse.org distros or other places), the Members still want the libraries to be vetted. And it turns out that vetting third-party code is a very painfully slow process.

We'll talk more about this at the face-to-face meetings in San Francisco in a week and a half. I will even have some advice from the legal team on what you can do to help speed up the reviews of your contributions.
--
Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Director, Open Source Process

voice:  971-327-7323 (pacific time)