RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Dates of platform RC builds?

I updated the Wiki for TPTP. The dates remain as before, but indicated that RC5 and RC6 are not same as our I3.

Thanks,

-Sri

From: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:46 PM
To: eclipse.org-planning-council
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Dates of platform RC builds?

Hi John,

I suspect your question has been answered before ... and each time in a slightly different way! :)
Even I was pretty confused, when I tried to sort through the schedules you pointed to.
I suspect both are a little right, and both a little wrong.

As I've looked into this, it appears each project has its own "rhythm" firmly established, and their own
naming conventions, which just highlights all the more an accomplishment it will be to achieve Callisto.

But, to reduce confusion, I'll try to summarize the schedules.
and propose we update the "summary table" that's in
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php
I have made a draft of that summary table at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Plan_Summary
If the Planning Council agrees, we can update the callisto.php document.
(once Bjorn gets back, unless someone else knows where it is and has write
access to it).

First, each project's schedule is their own, so if the Eclipse Platform says
says "5/12 for RC4" that's 5/12  for *their* RC4 (not necessarily Callisto's).
And, yes, that does means their contribution for Callisto RC3 will be their
RC4.

It appears there's no way around this sort of "name mismatch", and I've tried to
capture each project's "contribution name" in the summary table at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Plan_Summary
I've only filled in ones I knew about, or that were summarized other parts of
the document at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php
so, you can all feel free to edit the document at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Plan_Summary
and correct my errors or omissions.

The important part of this summary is those "lower" in the food chain, since --
as you point out -- projects need to plan which version of a prereq'd project to
pick up for their building and testing. Someone would be "off" if they mistakenly prepared their
Callisto RC3 contribution, using Eclipse Project's RC3 contribution, since for Callisto .. they are
providing their RC4 for Callisto RC3).

The other important part of my proposed summary table, is that I've increased
the "end date" of each cycle to include 2 working days to administer and "propagate"
to the mirror system. I think this important to set the right expectations, and it does highlight
that the last RC really is the very last, there's no room for a "last minute" change, if
we allow full time for mirror propagation, which is all the more important for that last,
formal release.

Sorry for the long note, but  hope this will make for shorter discussion needed at
Wednesday's planning call.,

Thanks,

jograham@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/24/2006 12:57 PM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclipse.org>

"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclipse.org>

cc

Subject

[eclipse.org-planning-council] Dates of platform RC builds?

All,

Apologies if this has already been answered, but the DTP PMC is trying to
finalize out Callisto endgame plan, a we've noticed a slight difference in
two date sources:

1. The Eclipse 3.2 endgame plan posted at:
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/freeze_plan_3.2.html
2. The Callisto page plan posted at:
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php

Talking about RC2, RC3, and RC4:

(1) has the following dates for the RC builds:
RC2 -- 4/28
RC3 -- 5/5
RC4 -- 5/12

(2) has the following dates for the RC builds:
RC2 -- 4/28
RC3 -- 5/12
RC4 -- 5/26

Given that we're trying to close the synchronization gap as Callisto
approaches, we're carefully scheduling our work within these windows. Which
of the two sources should we take as the official RC dates? I tend to think
(1), but just want to be sure that we're not missing something here.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.