From: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:58 PM
To: eclipse.org-planning-council@eclipse.org; djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; DSchaefer@xxxxxxx; Ed Merks; hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Council meetings next week

Planning Council Members, David, Doug,
My apologies for the tardiness of this agenda.

The schedule for the meetings returns to the "Portland style":

Tuesday 13

Wednesday 14

Thursday 15

am

Requirements

Plenary w/ Board

Planning

pm

Architecture 1/2

Architecture 2/2

eve

Group dinner w/ Board

Hotel
You've all already made hotel reservations, but just in case you forgot where it is, the hotel is the
Serrano Hotel, 405 Taylor Street, San Francisco http://www.serranohotel.com/

Action Items From Last Meeting

  • [Bjorn FB] Standard website content. (see below)
  • [Bjorn FB] Status reporting format (see below)
  • [Bjorn FB] Update guidelines - half done.
  • [Bjorn FB] Bugzilla emails showing up on Google.

Agenda
I have these goals for the Planning Council next week: [leader]

  1. [All] Choose a time for monthly Planning Council/Callisto calls. I think it is extremely important that we, collectively, make sure that we're doing enough coordination for Callisto. Kevin invited everyone to join the Platform calls, but I think that we need a bit more than that.
  2. [All] Formalize the time line for Callisto. As Tim suggested "written details on scheduling, timing, ramp down process, etc.". My goal for this meeting is to collectively write a draft and assign actions to someone to finish the document and make it available. Kevin suggested that we need "a better download page ... and ... using the update manager".
  3. [All] Understand the new /project-info/ directory and PHP ProjectNav class. Documentation here (to be filled in before the Council meeting). These two will create the "four standard left nav links" requested last meeting and they will auto-gen the Roadmap pages and they provision various bits of the website (the projects page, the dashboard, etc).

The Callisto projects are:

Group Dinner Tuesday Night
1830 cocktails, 1900 dinner at the Ponzu Restaurant (at the hotel). Those of you who pre-registered for dinner know who you are. Those of you who didn't - well, there aren't any seats left in the dining area, sorry.

Plenary Session Wednesday Morning

0800 - 0830: Continental Breakfast

0830 - 1000: Steven O'Grady (Redmonk): Building Communities

1000 - 1015: Break

1015 - 1100: Topic Leader: Mike Norman

I'm very interested in interoperability amongst projects, not just in terms of interop through the platform, but interop with each other.  There are related issues of re-use, packaging, release trains, quality etc.  There's a balance to be struck between a top-down and a bottom-up model. This is something that I think would be a useful area for the board to flesh out a policy.  However, it's not really for EMO execution, more something that is in scope of the Councils, so it ends up back with the member organizations, with EMO facilitation.

1100 - 1200: Topic Leader: Bjorn Freeman-Benson

Currently, the Board and the Projects see the development process differently. The Board wants protection; the Projects want freedom; each side needs to understand that there is value in the other's view and that some middle ground is going to be the best solution.

Regards,

--

Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Director, Open Source Process