[eclipse.org-committers] Save settings on Eclipse servers: User Storage Service

All,

Today we're introducing the User Storage Service (USS), which allows
Eclipse projects to store user-specific project information on the
Eclipse Foundation servers. The goal is to make it easy for our projects
to offer a better user experience by storing relevant information in a
central location.

The USS has two components:
- REST API server. The actual storage service.
- USS SDK: a java API to interface with the REST server from an Eclipse
workspace. The USS handles login/authentication, session management and
storage/retrieval of data.

The first project to use the USS is Oomph, allowing users to save their
preferences using their Eclipse account for persistence across
workspaces and computers. The Marketplace Client project is also
planning to store Marketplace favorites to the USS. We hope other
Eclipse projects will also take advantage of this new service.

A Getting Started guide can be found at:
    https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_USS

There will also be a session on the USS at EclipseCon in March, so we
hope to see you there.
    http://eclip.se/7U

For more information on USS, or to get started using it, please don't
hesitate to contact Christopher or I at webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Regards,

Denis

PS: The current version of the USS SDK is located in the Ooomph
repository (http://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/uss.git/) but in the near
future will be moved to its own project.

--
*Denis Roy*
Eclipse Foundation, Inc. -- http://www.eclipse.org/

Back to the top