Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] IP Due Diligence Process Documentation and ClearlyDefined

FYI, I just encountered an example where "NONE" is included in the discovered licenses.

When you see NONE, that means that somebody has curated the data to fix a case where the harvesting process has decided that a license has been specified, but upon inspection the curator decided that there was no explicit license statement.

In this specific example, the file that was fixed was a history/change log file that contained a line that included an SPDX license code, but the file itself had no specific indication of what license the file itself is distributed under (in this case, we assume that it's distributed under the declared license).

FWIW, the license tool's SpdxExpressionParserTests.java throws the code scanners for a loop (it contains all sorts of test strings with various license codes). I intend to connect with the developers of scancode-toolkit to consider adding some means of escaping a file or indicating that license codes embedded in a file are just a bunch of data.

Wayne