Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Development Process 2013

Am 21.08.2013 18:07, schrieb Wayne Beaton:
Greetings Architecture Council members,

As we discussed on our last call, I am drafting some changes to the Eclipse Development Process (EDP). We had discussed a complete rewrite in the past, but I don't think that I have the necessary bandwidth to attempt a full rewrite at this time. I'll be focusing my attention on a delta.

I haven't created the revised document yet. I'll be doing that, however, over the next few days.
I found a strange effect when I tried to Google *the* (current) EDP. I entered "eclipse edp" and the top result was:

    http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process_2011.php

Let's pretend that I don't know what version (year) is current. So I removed the last URL segment:

    http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/

I expected to see either the current version (if there's only one version at all) or a list of all versions, possibly with the current one highlighted. But it redirects to:

    http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources

That document is full of 100s of links but searching for "EDP" reveals a link in the second third:

    http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process.php

Which then redirects back to the 2011 version. That leads me to the following questions:

1) Are old versions removed?
2) If not, are they marked as outdated? Possibly with a direct link to either the successor or the current version?
3) Should the index of http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ list all versions (or at least just the current one) plus additional (guideline) docs?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

In the meantime, we have several open bugs [1] against the EDP. Your input on these bugs would be helpful.

Wayne

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?list_id=6630913&short_desc=%5BEDP%5D&query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation