[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [eclipse-scripting-dev] eScriptMonkey naming
- From: "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:42:55 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thread-index: Ac6t8Z1goxzO+/c4TJOiotfii4R1OAA1MmCQAAEA64A=
- Thread-topic: eScriptMonkey naming
I like "Scriptic" , although it doesn't have any connection to Eclipse or what we're trying to achieve specifically with this project.
What about "EasyScript" since one goal is appealing to end users and make scripting for them very easy (regardless of scripting language) ?
I think the "ease of use" was one of the design goals behind Monkey, it strived to be as easy and widespread as Mozilla GreaseMonkey.
Shortening EasyScript, we're back to "EScript" which could be taken for "Eclipse Scripting" or "Easy Scripting".
Are there any must-have criteria why we absolutely can't take "EScript" ? Perhaps we can remove any blockers here by some other means ?
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect - Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85 fax +43.662.457915.6
From: eclipse-scripting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-scripting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DAUSSY Arthur
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:25 AM
To: Discussions about scripting Eclipse.
Subject: Re: [eclipse-scripting-dev] eScriptMonkey naming
I agree with you about the name. Something new would be better.
However I don't really like using acronyms for name. I find it hard to remember. I would prefer something like Scriptic or ScriptOn (already taken) that seems easier to remember.
I have thought about :
4Script (If we are host in E4)
+33 5 34 36 32 90
De : eclipse-scripting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-scripting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Christian.Pontesegger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé : mardi 10 septembre 2013 08:47
À : eclipse-scripting-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [eclipse-scripting-dev] eScriptMonkey naming
as the new eScriptMonkey project is growing on GitHub, I'd like to propose to find a nice new project name for it. While a eScriptMonkey is fine as a working title I would prefer a new name for following reasons:
* There already exists a project called scriptMonkey on github: https://github.com/siddii/scriptmonkey/
* The name very similar to EclipseMonkey. While a "monkey" would be great for icon design (which we will need in time) I think the name would let users think, that this project is a simple revival of EclipseMonkey. But it is far more than that. Actually the "monkey" part (loading scripts, having dynamic menus to organize them, the DOMs) is just one facet of the whole thing. Providing a simple module mechanism for users to contribute, shell scripting, ev. Visual scripts are things beyond the focus of EclipseMonkey (please correct me, if I'm wrong).
* eScriptMonkey (to me) seems very long as a root package name (org.eclipse.escriptmonkey...)
I am not very happy with eScript either as it sounds more like a new scripting language than what it actually is: an interpreter framework.
So I started thinking and found some candidates:
DSEE: Dynamic Script Execution Environment (pronounce: [di: si:], like the 2nd part of AC/DC)
EASE: Eclipse Advanced Scripting Environment
Let me know what you think: do we need a better project name? Any suggestions for a decent name?
eclipse-scripting-dev mailing list
Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité du groupe Atos ne pourra être engagée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être engagée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.
This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavors to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.
eclipse-scripting-dev mailing list