Re: [eclipse-pmc] [eclipse-ide-wg] IMHO serious issues in the Eclipse Java IDE 2021-06 M3

Sravan,

Many years ago I maintained Jetty, SLF4J and other bundles in Orbit. It was an intensive effort back in the day which eventually lead to the EBR technology as is used today.

Bundles are usually tested in the context they are used in. I don't think there is a mandate to test every bundle in Orbit with every project. This is why there is the Simultaneous Release. Projects participate in the release and can be tested together. Making a bundle available in Orbit gives other teams/projects/adopters an opportunity to test early, report feedback and collaborate.

I recall that we had really good collaboration on bringing/updating Ant in Orbit. Another good as well as challenging example is the Apache HTTP Client, which is used by a lot projects.

The Orbit project is constantly producing recommended builds:
https://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/

There is a steady stream if contributions:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/log/

Of course, it would be great to see Orbit also covered under the umbrella of the Eclipse IDE Working Group. Hence my motivation for raising it to the WG as well.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/