Re: [eclipse-pmc] Should we accept any patches to attract more contributors?

Hi again,

I know the discussion in this thread is over, but let me just add an observation:

For my investigations of a bug I frequently need an answer to the question:
What changes have been made to a given method ever since it was first created.

Several times since this thread I was unable to find an answer because of
commits like [1] (I have no intention of blaming Frederic Fusier :)).

In all those situations none of the hints nor enhancement ideas discussed in
this thread (would have) helped. Imagine a method of 100 lines of code.
Imagine, one in every three lines is changed by the clean-up. This implies
that the method is split into 67 chunks with different history. When using
blame annotations I need to inspect each of these 67 chunks. Next imagine
a method of 500 lines affected by the same clean up. ----  Please note,
that viewing the history of that file also is no good option, because it
may have hundreds of commits that didn't even touch the method in question.
As a result, in each of these situations I had to fix the current bug
while being unable to understand why the code looked the way it did.
This is an extremely uncomfortable situation. Those are code regions of a
complexity that no-one can fully understand without their history. Making
any changes in this situation is very prone to introducing more new bugs
than fixing old ones.

I'm just reporting this here, because I believe the discussion has either
underestimated the necessity of understanding code history, or overestimated
the options to filter out clean-up commits during investigation.

Note that I'm not arguing for stagnation, but anything that disturbs blame
usefulness must IMO demonstrate a substantial benefit beyond the level
of personal taste, or unproven assumptions.

best,
Stephan

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git/commit/?id=bd6803034b95b7e0dd8c0cbcd0aead0a5c726f6