Re: [eclipse-pmc] New Top Level Project Charter

I have engaged the Eclipse Planning Council regarding the name of the simultaneous release and corresponding products.

FWIW, the updates that I've proposed to the charter expand the scope of the project to reflect the reality that it's not about just tools. "Eclipse IDE" would be a misnomer for the TLP.

This exercise is concerned with finding a name for the Top Level Project, not the products of EPP. You're probably right that the name selection won't have much of an impact on the day-to-day work of the project or manifest in anything more significant than the about dialog.

This request is a step in a process. That the "Eclipse Project" is a violation of our trademark policy put it in first place. The Eclipse Tools TLP is on my list for a charter update and will likely be well-served by a name update as well. Since that project's charter focuses on tools that extend the Eclipse Platform, I'll likely propose that leverage the hard work that you folks do for their name upgrade (e.g. "Eclipse Placeholder Tools Project"). I haven't put any thought yet into what (if anything) we need to do about "Eclipse Technology".

Wayne