RE: [eclipse-pmc] Equinox Transforms graduation [was Re: [Fwd: slides to preview]]

Bjorn: Kim:
Just to add my 2 cents to the fray ... :-)

On the topic of community adoption:
The very nature of the transforms is that it is akin to some fundamental
API, and as such does not has the opportunity to grow a community an
isolation. It is also something that had the bad luck to just work pretty
much out of the box. Hence probably the little feedback it got. I use it and
it is awesome and did not need to provide feedback on it whatsoever.
My bad, and probably other users bad!
It is so awesome in fact that it is the only clean way I know to act as "the
hand of god" on existing Eclipse plugins and APIs: IMHO this is an essential
tool that every adopter that makes some serious packaging of Eclipse-based
products should be using and abusing ( instead of ugly hacks and patches
that were required before.) You can redirect some APIS invocations, remove
some more, remodel the UI, and so on as needed, without the need to
explicitely patch the core code that exposes or consume those APIs.
Kim: feel free to me /nexB as adopters in the review document.

On the topic of APIs:
Equinox Transforms are a kind of meta-API, and Kim you could  may be explain
it as such?
It is about being able to transform the APIs and redirect APIs invocations
at load time.
What the Transforms does is really just installing hooks that enable
transforms.
The API of that meta API could be expressed as the ways to add transforms
via those hooks.
The subject of the Transforms are API themselves, not as defined in the
Transforms per se, but instead as defined by every plugin that would expose
an API. The meta nature makes it hard to grasp at first, but IMHO the result
is elegant and powerful, and again a tool every Eclipse product builder
should adopt.

--
Cheers
Philippe