RE: [eclipse-pmc] contributed keyword

My apologies if I'm intruding, but hopefully this EMO perspective will help
the conversation.

If an individual has the paperwork in place to be a committer on a project
and writes code which is committed to the project's repository then no
further documentation is required. Regardless of whether they are "active"
or "inactive" or work for their former employer. As long as their paperwork
is in place and up-to-date, they are a committer.

This would also apply if a committer writes some code which is committed to
another component within the same project by another committer.

If a committer writes some code which is committed to another project for
which they do not have commit rights (presumably by a second committer),
then they should be documented as a contributor, as commit rights are scoped
to a project. Basically we just want some housekeeping in place so we can
track the origin of the code. Yes, this may mean that a CQ is required :-(

In the case of a contributor, we don't differentiate between doc, code, XML,
whatever. If a contribution is made that ends up somewhere in CVS, then it
should be documented in the IP log and/or whatever mechanism your project is
using. So the formal definition of what a contribution is not based on what
the type of artifact is, it is based on whether copywritable material ends
up in CVS or SVN.

That said, as a practical matter release reviews focus on the copywritten
materials which actually ship in a release. So patches to (for example) web
projects receive less scrutiny and are lower risk. So I believe the PMC has
some discretion there if the cost/benefit trade-off is prohibitive.

Basically, the questions that we are always seeking to answer are: can we
demonstrate *who* wrote this copywritten material, and is there a trail that
demonstrates that we have the permissions in place to distribute it.
Individuals covered under a committer agreement and employer consent are
obviously in good shape. But since the employer consent forms may be limited
to a specific project, crossing project boundaries require additional
documentation.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228