Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Modelled UI change notification - live model

Tom, it's never too late...;-). I don't think that Boris has applied my patch yet and I'm sure that any suitable implementation/patch is fine (for example I'm sure that your come with the appropriate tests, my patch doesn't ).

Eventually (i.e. before we release) the SWTObservables should be as complete as is feasible (it's mostly mechanical work from what Iv'e seen). While we can expect clients to know how to use databinding I don't think we'd want everyone writing their own bindings just to support a widget we missed. I notice that Angelo has bindings for a number of controls as well so perhaps we should take his (or any combination of all of ours...my only handles 'Item' text and tooltips).

Now for Images....should the databinding use a 'back-end' ImageRegistry to cache its images? I'm picturing an 'Image' binding that is a String (the URI) on the model side and an Image on the SWT side. Does it make sense for the converter to cache images?

Onwards,
Eric

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/28/2008 10:46 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Modelled UI change notification        -        live        model

Hi Eric,

Yes there a many "missing" and I've patch databinding myself to make
this work. :-) I was on a short holiday so the answer might be too late.

Tom

Eric Moffatt schrieb:

> Tom, in one word "sweet!!' I'd been working on wiring up the listeners
> but I'm just not a databinding guru. I've just taken a look at how you
> are wiring up the controls/model and love it...this is a pattern we can
> make great use of.
>
> I'm switching over to using it but I can'tfind SWT text observables for
> 'Items' (i.e. MenuItem, ToolbarItem, CTabItem). I'll make a quick patch
> that adds them (a quick look a 'observeText' shows that this is fairly
> trivial).
>
> Nice one,
> Eric
>

> *Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA*
> Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 09/24/2008 01:22 PM
> Please respond to
> E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>                  E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
>                  Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Modelled UI change notification -
>  live        model
>

>> From: Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
>>
>> 1) Do we agree this is the behaviour we want?
>>
> I'd certainly like to see this. In particular, when we have talked
> publically about how e4 would be more dynamic/responsive to develop for,
> this was the kind of thing we had in mind.
>
>> 2) When do we we think we'd provide it?
>>
> I'd argue that it's worth thinking about it soon, since there are
> potentially interesting issues w.r.t. state management, SWT widget
> lifecycle, etc.
>
>> 3) I think I can imagine with the current code base how we handle
>> on-the-fly creation and deletion, but what about modification?
>> Right now the factories 'make', they don't 'modify existing'.
>>
> ... and if we end up with a "destroy and recreate" model, we need to do
> a better job of maintaining state than we currently do (e.g. it's not ok
> for the tree to be recreated with all the nodes collapsed, etc.)

> eclipse-incubator-e4-dev mailing list
> eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

B e s t S o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH