Re: [eclipse-dev] Recommended working style with gerrit & bugzilla

On 05/15/2014 10:49 AM, Christian Pontesegger wrote:
Say I provide a small bugfix, should I still raise a bug additionally to the gerrit topic? If yes: what should be done first and should these 2 entries link to each other?
Here is what I usually do. Not sure it's the best way to do things, but so far, no-one complained:
* For trivial immediate code changes, I usually don't create a Bugzilla because I'm lazy and I'm pretty happy with just a Git topic
* When there is a related bug, I always put the bug # in the commit message header, and also a link in the commit message footer, to make it look like http://waynebeaton.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/mylyn-egit-and-your-commit-message. Note that the full URL is helpful because commits can be shown in Ohloh, GitHub or other and with a full URL, the link is still clickable.
* When there is already an existing Bugzilla, and then I submit a Gerrit review, I always add to Bugzilla a comment with the link to Gerrit review, put this link in Bugzilla "URL" field, and when there is a review flag on Bugzilla, I set it to "?"
* Since in practice there is usually a 1-1 mapping between topic, commit and fix/feature, I only look at the Git history when creating release notes. Not at Bugzilla nor Gerrit.

Of course bigger topics should be discussed on the bugtracker. I was facing this question because a bundle was missing to include its scheme files to the build. Is this worth an official bug report?
If you plan to fix it immediately, then it's probably not worth it. But if you notice it, and say "I'll fix it [any time later]" then it's better to open a bug, so that
1. It won't be forgotten
2. Someone may notice the report and want to fix it sooner. It makes work easier to share.
So IMO, Bugzilla is still very helpful in order to plan, share, discuss, organize work. If you don't need any of these, it seems fine to directly push the quickfix to Gerrit.

However, many people have the habit of watch Bugzilla component users and receive Bugzilla notifications. If you want those people to also monitor Gerrit reviews, make sure they did set up notifications as well at https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/settings/projects

My 2c.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat