[eclipse-dev] MacOS X: Interface bugs

Just noticed a couple of things about the interface in Eclipse for MacOS X. I looked in bugzilla to see if the issues show up and they don't seem to. I don't have the time to figure out how to add bug reports (bugzilla may be powerful interface but the learning curve is too severe.)

1) Right clicking on an item in the file list (say for selecting the properties of a project) will not generate the context menu for the item the mouse is hovering over. It creates the context menu for the previously selected item. In other words, it doesn't select the new item first and then generate the list. A little annoying when you have to "left-click" on an item and then "right click" on it later.

2) Textboxes (or whatever the equivalent in the SWT) hide their contents as if the content has been completely scrolled to the right. (so the text is hidden under the left edge of the box). It's a little annoying when you think that the build directory hasn't been added when you look under the source properties and you end up with a weird build path like:

myproject/build/myproject/build

because you'd incidentally added the path twice.

I would hazard to guess that the textbox is tempting to show you the right most content but rather than aligning it with the right of the textbox, it aligns it with the left of the text box. (aligning it with the right of the textbox is something you might want to do when evoking a edit mode for the textbox and you want to default to adding at the end of the textbox contents).

Otherwise I'm exceptionally pleased by Eclipse. It's an excellent IDE which looks great on the Mac.

Jeremy E. Denton

Back to the top