[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ecf-dev] Update on OSGi RSA work and ECF 3.9
- From: Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:58:18 -0700
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.6.0
Some of you are aware that ECF's impl of OSGi Remote Services/Remote
Service Admin is under consideration by the OSGi EEG (Enterprise Experts
Group) to become the reference implementation. This is a quick update
about the relevant things that are happening in the OSGi EEG from the
1) Although the RS/RSA chapters (100 and 122) of the enterprise
specification specification are basically done, it's going to be some
time (months) before the other non-RSA 1.1 parts of the Enterprise spec
are completed (e.g. update to HttpService, DS changes/improvements, new
Async Services, etc). Given this , ECF 3.9 is going to be released
before the enterprise specification is fully released by OSGi, and
before the RI selection is complete.
1) Today I updated the OSGi CT (compatibility test suite) to the latest
version from the OSGi repository. The CT had some additions, bug fixes,
and improvements since the earlier version I/we've been using. Great
news: ECF's RS/RSA 1.1 implementation is passing the latest CT.
2) Thomas Watson (Equinox project lead) and I have decided it will be
best if ECF submits it's own CQ's for use/redistribution of the OSGi RSA
1.1 companion code, rather than piggy-backing on the Equinox CQ for the
entire companion suite as we have been doing. This way we will not have
to depend upon Thomas' whole-compendium code update, but rather I can
update the RSA packages only, since that's all that ECF needs. Here is
that new CQ .
Given the above, without objection from committers or community I think
that we will try to release ECF 3.9 fairly quickly...e.g. on Aug 11.
Please let me know if you have any concerns or comments about this
timing. There is one issue with RSA 1.1 and Zookeeper discovery that I
would like to address prior to release...Wim I will contact you directly
about this once I do a little more investigation to try to understand
what's going on.