Re: [ecf-dev] Race conditions with remote provider

Hi Alex,

On 6/7/2011 12:17 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:
<stuff deleted>
Have you consulted the AbstractDiscoveryContainerAdapter class in org.eclipse.ecf.discovery?  i.e:

http://download.eclipse.org/rt/ecf/3.5.1/javadoc/org/eclipse/ecf/discovery/AbstractDiscoveryContainerAdapter.html
Yes, I'm subclassing this. But there's still quite a lot of behaviour which could get reused in a more specific subclass, like managing the Set of services (and providing simple implementations of the getServiceTypes and getServiceForType) as well as glue code which is commonly needed (e.g. converting map-of-string-and-byte[] to/from map-of-string). Ultimately, the glue bits outside of 'make this known' and 'discover this'. For example, the ZooKeeper overlays the properties with specific encodings for the weight/priority etc.

Sure...this sounds like a good enhancement idea to me...i.e. either additional functionality in AbstractDiscoveryContainerAdapter...or a subclass of AbstractDiscoveryContainerAdapter...whichever makes the most sense.

<stuff deleted>
That would be terrific, thanks.  If you like we can either add it to the ECF github repo at:  http://github.com/ECF or we can/could add it as a contribution to the EF git repo.  Your choice of course.
More than happy to add it as an ECF contrib, but I'd really like to get practice in the GitHub process. But still, I also need to prove it works too ...

For additions to org.eclipse.ecf.discovery (e.g. enhancements to AbstractDiscoveryContainerAdapter or subclass), we'll need to go through the EF contribution process...since this bundle is already in the EF git repo.

Alternatively, ECF has a github repo here: http://github.com/ECF It can/could be used for contributions of new projects/bundles. Again, your choice Alex.

Another option (in the longer term, of course) would be for Alex to become an ECF committer...which would be fine with me if he's interested/able to.

Scott

Back to the top