[ecf-dev] ECF Generic Server

I'm about to start my first development project with a significant offshore element, and I'm evaluating ECF as a collaboration tool. In particular, I'm interested in the shared editing capabilities - presumably this means DocShare and COLA.

However, I'm having difficulty navigating through all the documentation to find any discussion of how to start working - most of what I've found now seems to be deprecated.

As far as I can see, ECF adds 4 things to the Eclipse GUI that may or may not be relevant:

The Communications perspective
The Connect to Provider button
The Connect Workspace to Collaboration Group button
Supposedly, there is a context menu entry added to text editors labelled Share Editor With... - though I've never successfully seen this.

There is a lot of documentation about starting up a Generic Server under Equinox, but this seems to be outdated - and I have seen suggestions that it doesn't support DocShare anyway.

My Eclipse is 3.5.1 Build id: M20090917-0800, and my ECF is Eclipse Communication Framework SDK 3.1.0.v20091012-1618.

I really need to host any required server component internally for security and stability reasons.

Can you please point me in the right direction - if documentation currently exists, please point me to the bit that covers stuff that hasn't been deprecated...

I've found http://wiki.eclipse.org/DocShare_Plugin but this refers to ECF 2.0, so far as I can tell...

--
Bill Michell

Back to the top