Nice!! Very good motivator!

Regards,

Wim

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Dann Martens <dann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Just something interesting I found out recently: Android already uses an IPC mechanism, for obvious reasons, if you consider the role of the Linux process in their underlying architecture.

They have created a Java API to allow for the use of Unix Domain Sockets (a.k.a. POSIX Local Sockets).
(@see http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/LocalSocket.html)

Equally interesting is the motivation of part of the HADOOP team to propose to fork this effort to improve the performance of their system (node local).
(@see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6311)

Interesting discussion on the pro's and con's - yet in the end, the fact that the Java platform has not addressed these issues yet, convinces me that the ECF IPC library is going to become something which will cater to a very happy niche market, at the lower level. And as you know, if it helps improve the Eclipse IDE integrate better across the desktop and the web, that means a large eco-system happy at the higher level.

Have a nice week-end,
Dann