Re: [ecf-dev] ECF build v2 -- Build easier

Hi Arvind,

Arvind Gupta wrote:
Hi
     Have we thought about maven?

(Scott speaking for himself) Yes sure, I've thought of Maven. I'm personally not convinced it's the way to go, however. My previous experiences with doing OSG-bundle build/deploy with Maven were less than optimal. I understand that Maven's OSGi support has probably come a long way, but frankly it's been a long time since I've worked with it very much myself...and I know exactly nothing about how/whether it creates/edits p2 repos, etc (which is where we will want to go).

Also, there is (and should be I think) some momentum here for working with Eclipse Foundation technologies and projects...e.g: Equinox, PDE, PDE build, Buckminster, p2, and ECF (!), EMF/Nick/Denis/Build Harder effort...in the name of cross-project collaboration and cooperatively sharing build infrastructure (my personal dream :).

But as with most things in ECF, the 'decision' about what technologies to use (to build ECF) is mostly going to be based upon who among us is willing and able to put in the energy to make it a reality. So if you have an idea about a build technology to use (anything we can actually get our hands on/use for an open source project), please bring it up on this list...or even better take the ECF projects/features and get a build running :).

With the build system, I would love to have a single technology solution result in dramatically less work on the ECF build/deploy infrastructure...but frankly I don't ever expect this to happen...and I'm somewhat suspicious of 'silver bullet' arguments (just use this tech and all build/deploy work will magically disappear). Rather I expect that there will continue to be significant work in building/deploying ECF (whether that work is development of Buckminster modules/extensions, ant scripts, OS shell scripts, maven configuration, Hudson config, ECF features refactoring, etc). Of course I would like to minimize this work with good technologies, and I would also like to spread it around among ECF committers and contributors as much as possible...just so it doesn't overload or burnout anyone.

Scott

-arvind