Von: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx im Auftrag von Scott Lewis
Gesendet: Mo 10/22/2007 21:20
An: Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) developer mailing list.
Betreff: Re: [ecf-dev] ECF and equinox p2

Hi all,

Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you guys know, equinox p2 (the replacement for update manager) has
> decided to use ECF for its transports needs.
> So far the experience has been great as the few problems we encountered
> have been promptly fixed. Thank you!
>
> However up to now we have only done simple things (http and file protocols)
> but as p2 is getting closer to its first inclusion into the eclipse SDK
> everyone in the team would appreciate if the ECF community could help us
> ensure that some of the more advanced scenarios we are hoping to support in
> the 3.4 are handled. Here are some of the things that we are after:
> - Support proxy / socks (in conjonction with org.eclipse.core.net)
> - Support for https
> - Support for querying the user when authentication is necessary
> - Real life setups for proxy / DNS lookups

So that everyone is aware...a lot of what is needed here for the equinox
provisioning support is testing of the existing filetransfer API (and
testing multiple individual providers of that API).  As you can probably
imagine, it's rather difficult to test (e.g.) proxies when one is not on
a proxied network :).

If others out there have access to machines behind a proxy, PLEASE speak
up in response to this request.  You could help a tremendous amount for
both ECF and the Equinox Provisioning work simply by running existing
ECF file transfer test cases (those in
tests/org.eclipse.ecf.tests.filetransfer) on your behind-the-firewall
system(s)...and help even more by writing some additional test cases to
test your specific proxy configuration, https server, authentication
scenario, etc.  To summarize, the best ways to help would be:

1) Running existing ECF filetransfer test cases behind proxy configuration
2) Writing additional/new test cases and contributing them to ECF
3) Setting up a local proxy configuration (or https server) and doing 1
and/or 2 above.  If you can do this, please consider communicating with
others on the ECF newsgroup and/or mailing list so that a good coverage
of types/models of proxies/web servers are used.

Please let all know if you are able/willing to contribute to this, and I
will coordinate getting the appropriate/necessary information.

Here BTW, is a project set file that includes all the relevant ECF
sources (including the existing filetransfer test code as a junit plugin
test)

http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/ecf-anonymous.psf

Thanks,

Scott