Re: [e4-dev] Improved handling of ID's - Suggestion for discussion

I think an example of what Lars is talking about is to allow referencing an identifier from within a .e4xmi file that is actually defined in source code.  This would allow single-sourcing of an identifier.

For example, say we have a command defined for org.eclipse.ui.exit, and some code that wants to programmatically execute this command.  Currently we'd define the command in an e4xmi file:

	<commands elementId="org.eclipse.ui.exit" />

And then also reference the command identifier from a source file:

	public class MyPart {
		public static final String EXIT_ID = "org.eclipse.ui.exit";

		// does this work?
		@Inject @Named(EXIT_ID) MCommand exitCommand;
		@Inject EHandlerService hs;

		public void executeExit() {
			hs.executeHandler(new ParameterizedCommand(exitCommand, null));
		}
	}

Currently, org.eclipse.ui.exit has to be used both in the .e4xmi file defining the command, and in the code.

Lars' suggestion would change the e4xmi to something like:

	<commands elementId="model://bundle/MyPart/EXIT_ID" />

That would cause the command's elementId to be looked up (and validated!) at runtime; mismatches could be reported.  (I guess either ApplicationElementImpl#[gs]etElementId() would need to hook in some resolver.)

But I see one possible problem: what should happen if the bundle is unloaded or replaced — and the identifier is now different?  I suppose since almost all objects now use references, it may only be an issue with fragment's imports.

Brian.