[e4-dev] Re: Some comments on XWT

> Thanks for clarifying this, Kevin. I didn't realize that there are more
> than one declarative UI technologies being explored - my fault, I missed
> the discussion on the mailing list, so I'm sorry for the noise.

No noise at all Ralf.  First of all, I think it's very difficult for everyone to track everything going on in e4.  Second, I thought that the statement about the dynamics of the incubator was worth discussing since as I said it likely is not clear.

> > I'm missing something... how does existance (or lack) of namespaces in XWT
> > and CSS related to each other?  Do you envision them referring to each
> > other?  Or are just saying that the same reasons that drive the need for
> > namespace in XWT probably also argue for them in CSS?
>
> I just imagine that if a custom widget is being referred to using a
> namespace in XWT and using a (maybe prefixed) name in CSS, this would be
> a bad design. When there are conflicts between widget names, we need a
> method of distinguishing between say, SWT Label and my.custom.Label. And
> then, shouldn't this method should be the same in XWT and CSS?

Ah I understand. Yes, ideally they should be similar.

> Anyway, I see that namespaces cannot be avoided in XWT, so we can also
> defer this issue in CSS until it happens to be a real problem and/or we
> see any alternatives.

Agree, this seems the most practical approach.  But you know Angelo has a lot of energy so he'll probably just write us a new CSS3 SAC parser this weekend :)

Regards,

Kevin

Back to the top