[e4-dev] Package naming

The e4 package names don't follow the Eclipse project conventions [1], or any other convention as far as I can tell. In particular, the position of "internal" in package names isn't consistent across e4 bundles, for example:

org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.internal.application (internal is 6th segment)
org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.internal.workbench
org.eclipse.e4.workbench.ui.internal

Neither of which match the Eclipse convention of:

org.eclipse.<subproject>.internal.<component>.* (internal is always 4th segment)

Or the Eclipse 3.x packages:

org.eclipse.ui.internal.application (internal is 4th segment)

There are also some css packages that use "impl" as part of the package name rather than "internal", presumably for the same purpose?

Unlike the test bundle/package names we mentioned earlier, the existing convention is currently followed consistently across the other Eclipse projects (org.eclipse.jdt.internal.*, org.eclipse.equinox.internal.*, org.eclipse.pde.internal.*).

The e4 bundles also don't consistently follow the convention that the bundle id matches the dominant Java package (bundle org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench contains packages org.eclipse.e4.workbench.ui.*).

While I'd like to see us revert back to following the Eclipse conventions, we can discuss picking a new convention in e4 if that makes sense. Ultimately my main concern is about consistency, as these naming differences create confusion and are generally impossible to fix after the first release.

Thoughts?

[1] - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Naming_Conventions#Java_Packages

Back to the top