Re: [e4-dev] Modeled UI element names and SWT clash

Thanks for the quick input folks! Since I haven't seen anything against 'M' I'll change the model to the 'M'model today...

At this point we should all consider the model to be fairly plastic. If this change turns out to be bad for some reason then we can always find another approach. One of the major advantages of working in a model driven space is that cosmetic changes (and also most structural changes) are relatively easy to make and carry less risk of affecting working code. Currently we have so little code relying on the model specifics that we can make such changes easily. Now is the time to make changes; as we progress and more code is being written against the model this will become increasingly difficult (as it should) until it becomes the firmly set concrete we call 'API'.

What do you all think about holding a model review meeting, perhaps immediately after each e4 Milestone? This would give us all an opportunity to discuss not only the model's structure but also techniques for working with it. If you'd like to be part of this discussion get back to me and I'll add you to the list (Tom, Boris and Marcelo Paternostro are already on it but the more the merrier).

Thanks again,
Eric

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/02/2009 07:57 AM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Modeled UI element names and SWT clash

Hi Martin,

It's the other way round you *only* programm against M* and don't bother
anymore which SWT-Control you are modifing. MView e.g. is the
compareable to IViewPart in the current API.

Tom

Oberhuber, Martin schrieb:
> So, just for clarity of those not that intimately in touch with Modeled
> UI, what would a few examples be like?
>
> MMenu, MMenuItem, MToolTip, MWorkbenchWindow, ... ?
>
> What is the semantics of the M* variants compared to the original ones?
> Would anybody ever hand-write any code against the M* variants, or are
> these just generated anyways?
> Will they be public (Javadoc'd) API?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> *Martin Oberhuber*, Senior Member of Technical Staff, *Wind River*
> Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
> http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

B e s t S o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH