Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI

Hi Kevin,

Can you clarify this? I don't see a problem with going through the DOM.
I'd argue that someone is not even getting access anymore to the REALLY
widget when he/she is using declarative UI.

You may ask why does one not have access to the widget:
a) Did you ever see a WebDeveloper trying to access the real
   Native-Gecko-Button? SWT is just a renderer of the widget
   like Gecko, ... is in a browser.

b) The DOM you are seeing and the Widget-Hierarchy don't necessary have
   a one-to-one mapping. E.g. let's say I want to have fancy border
   drawing in SWT then my DOM looks like this:

   <composite border="black 2px" layout="grid">
     <label text="BlaBla 1" />
     <label text="BlaBla 2" />
   </composite>

   whereas the widget structure is like this:

   Composite (FillLayout=margin=2, backgroundColor=black)
      Composite(GridLayout)
         Label
         Label

c) What do you script against? The real widget is not right IMHO because
   of 2 and 3

The above example of a border is the reason I'm not a friend anymore of
a low-level dialect like XSWT but favor some higher level of Declarative
UI. As long as I programm against the high-level DOM it doesn't bother
me how a feature gets implemented at the widget-level
(widget-composition, gc-drawing, ....). Naturally the above border could
get implemented also by subclassing Composite + PaintListener but I
guess you'll get the point, right? By the way how is such a problem
solved when the border definition is coming from an CSS-Stylesheet?

When we talk about modeling the workbench it even gets worse because
e.g. a StackedPart can get rendered by a completely different
widget-type for example:
- CTabFolder
- TabFolder
- Nebula-PShelf