Re: [dtp-dev] Developing DTP 1.5 code

Brian,

Thanks for the description of the 3.3 advantages here. In the Wiki page
mentioned below, I also advocated for using the Target Platform approach. I
find the ability to quickly switch target platform useful in my day-to-day
building and testing of DTP.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

             Brian Payton
             <bpayton@xxxxxx.c
             Sent by:                  DTP development mailing list
             dtp-dev-bounces@e         <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc
                                       DTP development mailing list
                                       <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
             04/13/2007 03:42          dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [dtp-dev] Developing DTP 1.5
                                       code
             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

John,

It's not an enforcement, but one thing that might help is to encourage
developers to use the Plugin Development "Target Platform" feature.  For
example, I use Eclipse 3.3 as my IDE, but I have the Target Platform set to
use Eclipse 3.2.  In Preferences -> Plugin Development -> Target Platform,
in the Location field, browse to the Eclipse version you want to use as the
target platform for compilation.

By the way, unlike Eclipse 3.2, Eclipse 3.3 allows you to define a chain of
target locations right in the Target Platforms preference page, so you can
set the base Eclipse, plus a product build as the target platform; then you
can keep only selected plugins in your workspace if you wish.  That's one
reason I use 3.3 as my IDE.  (Prior to 3.3, to do the same thing you had to
create a "target" object in your workspace, then select it as a pre-defined
target in your Target Platform preference.)

Regards,
Brian

Brian Payton
SQL and XML Query Tools Development
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
(408) 463-2989, T/L 8-543-2989

Brian Payton
SQL and XML Query Tools Development
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
(408) 463-2989, T/L 8-543-2989

 jograham@xxxxxxxxxx
 Sent by:
 dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                            To
                                                DTP development mailing
                                                list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 04/13/2007 12:27 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
          Please respond to                     Re: [dtp-dev] Developing
    DTP development mailing list                DTP 1.5 code
        <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Larry,

Thanks, this is good info: committers should consider implementing Larry's
idea, which will cover us for the VM side of the equation.

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC Chair
Staff Software Engineer, Sybase, Inc.
http://dataplat.blogspot.com/

            Lawrence E
            Dunnell
            <ledunnel@xxxxxx.                                          To
            com>                      DTP development mailing list
            Sent by:                  <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
            dtp-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
            clipse.org
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [dtp-dev] Developing DTP 1.5
            04/13/2007 01:56          code
            PM

            Please respond to
             DTP development
              mailing list
            <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                  org>

John,

One way to enforce the Java version is to use project-level compiler
settings.  The settings are then checked into CVS.  That way no matter what
JVM the developer is using, the code will be compiled at a 1.4 JVM level.
It is very easy to setup and once you have the settings set for one project
you can simply cut and paste them into the other projects, so you don't
have to use the UI to set it up for each project.  The settings reside in a
project folder called ".settings".

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on enforcing Eclipse 3.2
compatibility.

Larry Dunnell
RAD Data Tools, DB2 Tooling,  Eclipse WTP Project and Eclipse DTP Project
IBM DB2 Information Management Software

jograham@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                       dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxx
04/13/2007 09:08 AM                                    g
                                                                       cc

      DTP development mailing list                     [dtp-dev]
          <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                        Developing DTP 1.5
                                                       code

Committers,

There's been some confusion about how to develop DTP 1.5 code in line with
the target environments we have adopted. Specifically, there have been a
number of cases during DTP 1.5 where the build broke due to dependencies on
either a 1.5 VM or Eclipse 3.3 being injected. Over the past couple of
weeks, these types of problems have become more common, and this is
worrying since we need clean builds with increasing frequency as the Europa
end-game proceeds.

In an attempt to explain what should be happening here, I have created the
following Wiki page:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DTP_1.5_Development_Environment

Please let me know if there are any questions or clarifications necessary.