[dsdp-tm-dev] Please use TM/RSE for your daily work wherever possible!

Dear committers,

with 2.0RC1, we've brought TM/RSE into the endgame of release candidates.

In order to find final bugs (especially the really annoying ones), I'd like all of us to use RSE in your daily work wherever possible. Use the TM Terminal or RSE connections instead of your normal command prompt; be it on local or remote. Use RSE to browse into archives, or copy files and folders around. Use RSE to edit remote files or execute remote programs. The really adventurous of us can even set up an RSE EFS connection to the Local file system, and use this in JDT to edit your Java programs :-)

Customize RSE with filters, table column headers, preferences etc. to work the way you want it to work.

I know that some things may be annoying at first, and you may think "I'd be a lot faster doing this if I did not use RSE". But this experience is important in order to find and fix those issues that still make RSE unpleasant to use.

"Eat our own food" is the single most important technique to find and fix those issues that really matter to our users. Let's do it NOW. This also applies to contributors, users other interested parties: if you want a good TM 2.0 release to consume yourself, use the prerelease NOW so we can find and fix the issues that matter to YOU.

In terms of bug fixing priorities, please focus on the hi-severity / hi-priority issues: Especially the ones listed on the "Known Issues and Workarounds" Wiki and those that you find really annoying yourself, when you use RSE.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top