RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] Re: services.dstore.* is public API

Dave/Martin,

We'll definitely need to override some of the methods, but Martin's
suggestion of "decorating" the file service, I think, will suffice. The
implementation change will mostly be on the server side, in the miners. I
would rather not make this API and risk breaking it in the future.

Dave M, what do you think?

Thanks,

Kushal Munir
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab, 8200 Warden Ave., Markham, ON
Phone: (905) 413-3118        Tie-Line: 969-3118
Email: kmunir@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Oberhuber,
             Martin"
             <Martin.Oberhuber                                          To
             @windriver.com>           "Target Management developer
             Sent by:                  discussions"
             dsdp-tm-dev-bounc         <dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/02/2007 11:23          RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] Re:
             AM                        services.dstore.* is public API

             Please respond to
             Target Management
                 developer
                discussions
             <dsdp-tm-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Hi Dave,

do you have concrete examples of what they would want to extend?

I think that in many cases they can "decorate" an existing service
rather than "extend" it with a pattern as follows:

MyDStoreFileSubSystemConfiguration extends DStoreFileSubSystemConfiguration
  public IFileService createFileService(IHost) {
     IFileService originalService = suber.createFileService(IHost);
     IFileService decoratedService = new
MyServiceDecorator(originalService);
     return decoratedService;
  }
}

That's what I expect from people who want to "extend" the ssh file service.
But anyways, I don't want to interfere too much here. I consider all
the dstore stuff owned by you IBM guys. If you prefer having more
API at the risk of probably having to break it in the future, that's
fine for me. It'll be mostly IBM clients using dstore anyways.

I don't know dstore and your clients enough to judge. Perhaps it is
better to just keep it API.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber