[dsdp-tm-dev] RSE Platform internal access

Hi all,

following up today's committer call, I enabled access
checks for all "internal" packages in the .classpath
files of our projects and also set the default recommended
warning levels on project level for all projects so
you'll automatically get the new warnings when you update.

There are two kinds of "internal" package access that we
should address:
1.) I found 220 occurrences where RSE uses Platform "internal"
    classes or methods. As expected, most of these have to do
    with replicating some Platform functionality, e.g. the
    extension points for actions.
2.) I found 124 occurrences where clients that we have defined
    use "internal" packages from RSE itself.

Although we need to address (1) in the Europa timeframe, I'm
currently more concerned with (2). Because when our own
implementations (e.g. SshServiceCommandShell) cannot do without
using internal packages, how should our users do when they try
and define their own ServiceCommandShell implementation?

As we've done with previous compiler warnings, please try and
fix them when you see them. Some of the internal access is
pretty easy to fix; others are harder so if you don't know
what to do about an issue just leave it for now. In order
to get some useful output in the Problems view, I'd recommend
using a filter for "any element in the selected project"
and enable errors and warnings.

DaveD / Kushal / DaveM: If you think you can do something about
the "internal" access warnings for the following cases:
    - ILanguageUtilityFactory
    - RemoteError, RemoteOutput
    - ISystemFilePreferencesConstants.SHOWHIDDEN
I think we'd get most of the case (2) ones so if you have a
good idea what to do with them please fix them.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top