RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] GDB source lookup issues

Pawel and all,

The following may be helpful if you decide to implement the source
lookup that extracts the source information from modules. It's a part of
my discussion with Daniel Jacobowitz, I don't think he would mind me
posting it.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:42:34PM -0000, Mikhail Khodjaiants wrote:
> You mentioned the "file-list-exec-source-files" command. There have
> been plans to use it for the source locator in CDT, but it only
> returns the source files from the executable. I don't see a way to get

> the sources from a shared library, which is a limitation for us. Do
you
> know if there are plans to add this feature to gdb?

DJ: I believe that it will return all source files for all loaded
objects, no matter where they come from.
GDB doesn't know anything about shared libraries before they are loaded
- it's just too difficult to guess which copy of a shared library will
be loaded at runtime.  So I guess you would have to rerun the command
when libraries are loaded or unloaded.  We could add a command to list
source files for a particular shared object only.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:13:15PM -0000, Mikhail Khodjaiants wrote:
> >We could add a command to list source files for a particular shared
> object only.
> I think it's a good idea. I would go further and use
> "file-list-all-source-files" for what is currently
> "file-list-exec-source-files" and use the latter to list the source
> files for the executable.

DJ: I really dislike changing the behaviour of existing commands - we
don't know what front ends might be using.  If you don't mind I'll post
this issue to the GDB mailing list and copy you?

Mikhail Khodjaiants
ARM Limited