Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] Re: FW: Load/save/fill memory operations

Samantha,

Let's see if Ted wants ownership of this. If not, you can assign it to me.

Regarding verification: let's further consider the Memory view. I would imagine that after the user modifies a set of bytes in a rendering, the view asks for an update of the memory and doesn't assume the content of the memory is what it was plus the modifications. If there was a disconnect (bug) between the UI and writing of the memory, we'd want the user to be able to see that. For example, imagine somewhere along the way, a memory view modification request is mishandled and memory is written in the wrong endianness. We'd want the memory view to truly reflect what's on the target, not what the upper levels of the debugger expect it to be. So, to that extent, there's a "visual/manual" verification in place. If the user types a modification and see something different after he hits <enter>, something is up...Whether that's how the memory view currently works or not, I don't know.

With a bulk write (import or fill), that manual verification isn't as feasible. The user might do the operation without even having a memory window open. So, to be 100% sure the import operation has left the memory as specified in the exported file, the user may want to optionally enable verification. It's certainly a performance hit, but if the verification is optional, that seems ok to me.

Just a thought. It's not a critical piece of the feature, but a "nice-to-have". I've seen Flash Programmer with this feature, so there is some precedent.

Regarding the expression support, one thing that springs to mind is the need to support address space. We'll need to keep that in mind when designing the feature.

John