RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] Target/Board descriptionrequirements: your thoughts requested

Kang,

A very good question, and one that must be discussed.  The context of
the discussion has always been around debuggers, and debuggers needs.
So this document centers around things that are only applicable to
debuggers as a first pass, but it does omit some things that debuggers
do need (e.g. detailed instruction set information).  we could push the
standard to the limit and create data driven descriptions for the entire
instruction set as well, so that a debugger could use this information
to do disassembly and stepping, and an ISS could use the infomration
(with a little more info...) to do instruction simulation.  We actually
talked about this in the Toronto meeting a bit.  I think that most
people, myself included are fearful that if we try and make the scope
too broad at first then we will never get anything done!  So as a first
pass it was decided to limit what we do to standardization of debugger
specific needs:

-core information (variant, instruction set version/id)
-core register information
-memory map infomration
-memory mapped peripherals
-connection related (JTAG scan chain info, protocols for a JTAG
connection device, etc)

What would you add?

regards,
Aaron