Re: [dash-dev] IP Log Tool

The new IP Log Tool concept gathers information from the Foundation database for both initial population of the log and maintenance. It allows for far more customization than the current Automated IP Log tool which was found to be insufficient for many of the projects that participated in the Galileo release (which revealed numerous deficiencies). Fundamentally, the only difference is that you can edit the log from within Eclipse and you have to explicitly store it somewhere.

We're solving several problems with the new approach:

* Current approach is not customizable enough
* Current approach has no support for snapshots in time
* You can make a copy of the HTML, but then you're on your own if editing is required * Current approach takes an exclusion-based approach (i.e. you are required to exclude what shouldn't there) which allows pretty much anybody to modify the log by adding new comments/entries in Bugzilla.

Perhaps this is naive, but I assumed that Eclipse developers would be supportive of Eclipse-based tools. Having said that, in order to use the tool, a committer will have to actually install it onto their workstation. I can understand how this might not be palatable. I'll try to solicit more feedback.

I'm looking at Bug 275529. As I recall, when you first posted the link to the Google Doc, I couldn't access it. Then a squirrel ran past the window and I was onto the next thing. Lame excuse. I am posting my resolution to the bug now.

Wayne

Back to the top