[che-dev] Discontinuing Che-Theia

Hi all,

We have been packaging VS Code and JetBrains IDEs as editors for Eclipse Che for a long time now. With these new editors we have adopted a new workspace architecture that doesn't use sidecar containers anymore. The injection of the IDE and its extensions in one "universal development container" (see diagram below) has been preferred to the use of isolated sidecars based on numerous feedbacks.

Che-Theia still uses the old workspace sidecar architecture and today we should either start packaging a sidecar-less version of Che-Theia or discontinuing it. The team that is currently maintaining Eclipse Che (primarily composed by Red Hat employees) does not have the resources to implement and maintain the sidecar-less Che-Theia.

As a consequence, unless there are volunteers ready to take this work over, Che-Theia is going to be discontinued in about 3 months (Che v7.60). See this issue [1] for more details.

Have a nice day,
Mario

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/21771

image.png