Re: [che-dev] Fixing sidecar memory settings

On 13 Jun 2019, at 4:08, tmader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi folks,

this is just to let you know that the languages team going to do a pass
over the language-related plugins and stacks to fix both the default
sidecar memory sizes for plugins as well as the devfiles existing in
the registry.

The desired outcome is that

1. You can turn on a plugin on any workspace and the plugin sidecar
will start
2. When creating plugin from a devfile in the registry, the sidecars
will be sized to allow the examples associated with that "stack" to be
used.

However, we cannot guarantee correct memory settings for all cases
(i.e. huge projects being imported). There are two common failure cases
associated with this:

1. The container runs out of memory
This is visible in the containers logs. If we deem this information to
be insufficient, we should implement some general mechanism that brings
container-related errors to the user's attention and provide
affordances to correct the problem

This is something we should be able to do. Is there an issue already raised for this?

2. Something inside the container runs out of memory.
This would be the case where, for example, the java language server
(started by the vscode-java extension) has a OOM exception.
Unfortunately, detection of such conditions is under the control of the VS Code extension that is providing the language support. Neither Theia nor any Che code is involved, so we can't really fix this ourselves and
for all cases.

That said, my team is working on a "language plugins troubleshooting
guide" that will point to the relevant settings and log files.

I know it is not the general solution but does vscode-java at least handle this properly?

/Thomas