Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Monthly Call
Just for the record:
I have been rewriting MBS for over a year now and have made
Some of the MBS limitations that are already fixed are:
- I added a project type that supports for building static
libraries, dynamic libraries and one executable in one build.
(based on the folder structure of the project)
- No storage of Locally generated id's in persistent files
(making it easier to use version control)
- Internal build and make build start from the same basis and
run the same commands making switching between the 2 seamless.
- There is no more build artifact in the project properties. You
can change the build artifact by changing the project type.
- In MBS configurations defined in plugin.xml can only be
selected at project creation time. New MBS allows you to change
the configuration defined in plugin.xml that is used as a basis
for a given configuration
The main pains I have encountered are:
- My lack of knowledge on eclipse integrations and how MBS/CDT
uses/integrates with eclipse plugin XYZ.
- Lack of knowledgeable person to ask about these integrations.
- Lack of documentation of the API to integrate with CDT.
- Lack of knowledgeable person to ask about MBS internal
- Lack of sufficient support of CDT to help out on
- Degradation of code quality of MBS over time (Think about what
Java and eclipse looked like 17 years ago. The good stuff ripped
out of MBS while all the bad stuff is still there).
- MBS using the plugin.xml model as default project and as
storage model (in the .cproject) at the same time.
Anyone willing to change/adopt/extend MBS will meet these pains in
some degree. (read after you have done lots of work you will find
out there is a way easier/better way)
I do not advice anyone on which road
they should take. I do want to share my experiences on the
relevant roads I took; in the hope it increases the changes of
others to succeed.
Screenshot of new MBS that shows how
you can change the project type (and as such the build artifact)
and/or the underlying configuration defined in the plugin.xml
Op 18/10/2023 om 0:19 schreef William
Riley via cdt-dev:
What we (Renesas) are looking at is
based on the managed build data for a project.
We are not planning to implement a cmake
generator for managed build. Just the json file for
existing MBS make & internal builder projects.
Electronics Europe GmbH
Registered Office: Arcadiastrasse 10
Commercial Registry: Duesseldorf, HRB 3708
Managing Director: Carsten Jauch
VAT-No.: DE 14978647
Disclaimer: This e-mail communication (and any
attachment/s) is confidential and contains proprietary
information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed. Access to this email by
anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful.
cdt-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe from this list, visit https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cdt-dev