Re: [cdt-dev] Is there interest in a rewritten managed build?

jan <jan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Therefore I would like to know whether there is interest in this?

Speaking as a downstream integrator who is using managed build, my tentative answer is: Probably not, from us.

While managed build is complicated and quirky, it mostly does what we need, and where it doesn’t, we have patches and workarounds in place. It‘s all a big, organically grown mess (some of our early decisions turned out questionable in hindsight), but it works. I am skeptical whether transplanting that mess onto a rewritten base would be worth the effort. What you design to address your gripes will not necessarily also address our gripes, at the same time I do not have time to contribute to designing a system that addresses everyone’s gripes.

What happened to the efforts to build a new managed build system based on core build anyway? (Where I confess I never contributed either.)

 -Christian

--
Indel AG
Christian Walther - Software

Tel.: +41 44 956 20 00
www.indel.ch
New product GIN-MAX4x4: The compact 4-axis motion board now also available as PRO version!
https://www.indel.ch/en/products/drives/compact-motion-drives

Back to the top