Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 11.0 + Java 17 + migration to GitHub

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 15:41, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 10:11 PM Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks you Morty for sharing your two cents - which is worth much more than that to me,

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 at 23:53, Moritz Strübe <moritz.struebe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey.

On 27.06.22 04:02, Jonah Graham wrote:
Bugzilla -> GitHub Issues [...] migration guide

My two cents:

Having two tools active at the same time seems like a bad idea to me.

OK - I think I will reword things to try to make them not sound both active at the same time.

I'd suggest putting Bugzilla in read-only mode from the beginning.

IIUC making Bugzilla readonly is out of Eclipse CDT project's control. Bugzilla as a whole will be read-only starting in May 2025

You can request making certain components readonly like it was done for e4 recently https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/issues/1439 .

Thanks for the reference, I will use that when I make the same request for CDT. However IIUC that is different from making existing CDT bugs read-only, that just stops new bugs being created?

After all, a minimal migration would be to just link the Bugzilla issue in Github.

This is what, for example, the Eclipse Foundation Helpdesk did (see this example comment). They did it for all bugs, and I specifically don't want to migrate all 5000 open CDT bugs. I will add something about the process to the doc (i.e. adding comment linking to github + marking bug resolution as resolved).

I'd also suggest to spam all open tickets to migrate them to Github if they are still relevant after a month or so to inform all bug reporters that do not follow the CDT development.

CDT has just short of 5000 open bugs, so simply spamming all open tickets will generate hate :-) (from me at least!) What I have requested from the EF is the ability to send a single email to all 5000 bug watchers. Not sure of the status of that. In the meantime AFAIK I am watching all 5000 of those bugs, so it relies on me seeing such activity and nudging the person in the GitHub direction. If anyone wants to help me on that they can "watch"[1] me on Bugzilla

What we can (and should do) is add a comment on all those bugs, but without email notifications on. I will add to the TODO list adding this comment and asking Webmaster for help on notifying in a not too spammy way.

Thanks again for your input

Jonah

[1] In https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/userprefs.cgi?tab=email look for the User Watching section. For example I watch all the CDT email addresses: cdt-arduino-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-build-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-build-managed-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-codan-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-core-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-cppunit-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-debug-cdi-gdb-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-debug-cdi-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-debug-dsf-gdb-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-debug-dsf-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-debug-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-doc-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-editor-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-indexer-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-launch-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-parser-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-refactoring-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-releng-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-source-nav-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx + I am the default CC or QA contact for all new bugs. I still can miss bugs like this, but it is pretty good.

Cheers
Morty

--
MATHEMA GmbH
Schillerstraße 14 | 90409 Nürnberg

Telefon: +49 (0)911 180778-50
E-Mail: moritz.struebe@xxxxxxxxxx | Web: www.mathema.de

Geschäftsführer: Andreas Hanke, Thomas Haug
Handelsregister: HR B 35517, Nürnberg/Bayern

Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team