Re: [cdt-dev] Clean up bugzilla / house keeping?

Hi Morty,

Bugzilla is a mess - in the past (~2017/18 IIRC) we tried to bring in a stale bug bot but the active committers at that time objected, opting for manual cleanup. Also, the Eclipse Platform project did bring in a stale bug bot and it was recently removed due to lots of objections to having it in place[0].

However, I think it is moot - Eclipse Bugzilla is being retired and CDT will have to move off of it. We discussed this at the recent CDT call[1] and a proper proposal will be coming ahead of the next call.

Part of that proposal will have to include what to do with the existing bugs, and I suspect that the proposal will not migrate all the bugs to GitHub. The Eclipse Platform project did a similar move in the last few months and we'll try to learn from them.

So, going forward we should have such a discussion on how to handle stale issues in GitHub. There are a lot of very nice bots for GitHub to make GitHub issues nice enough to use.

HTH,
Jonah

[1] See "Big changes" section of https://hackmd.io/@jonahgraham/cdt-call-may-11-2022

~~~