Re: [cdt-dev] Building CDT project with docker image
  • From: Moritz Strübe <moritz.struebe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:24:37 +0100
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=mathema.de; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=mathema.de; dkim=pass header.d=mathema.de; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=qOXbadUbiTiS92S25MFX6zALRpp2vc2fInyhCbYYD5Y=; b=lxhTeCQapw2LYZkZhGcAJfaABLKhHPyXoWWBvJ5+j3WoLdDicaGPEmdFwokg/iS+EO5oyfBOlG6HNXLh5kvDOmOf9qjKtVjb+Q++5uVxFphVVWBeh6l5+V3WDhBl155dpRTTSc7W1Ktdhu2x/t7vC0IIbrBoOK+/htcR0j1r76UryC0xtlxmd6ymOvjRM48eTlwnIyS/s0VeQvH+4enuxr1aTzyhiLxRtkuizcTiGNfFbrnswJRDQp3w0QpegY786d4t4y+PR9GhAhK5kDvoo5HbVSdeJTHojKjTo0ZGscz5YIkFl25cBlSPzcPVeruOoo1KFPECO2da/eBtAE1LvA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=n5zseJ+YDpeNbBiPwHIHjPURfUciJWeWbj5VvDYWjvMsdlJ79BX+s4UvJAM6w5fCZEHkT1q/gAVQTwGj+ODf8Hl/04JvFCn20Y4bLPaw4uK/kM9n/o0lx7p4kHza+khu72O9xlPPcEtE47wxnGx1HOuKO5nQ08tqkuo1tgM/vZnHNsRnEAUUMIT7TGhfFm84W8L6arrvsaJPFkIGTAN/QOS3hb08UiNPhlUS9Q+UUnACbhXpmd+M4n+2T7DwU4AS3ud5EstZqUljEpxpdm+SS9+kSffm1ngIxyaXW1MOL615nX/sS602UX8W2Pc8QRzWcQCYjmkvzH2zvPtnZ9TMiQ==

Hey,

you are running into a classical Docker-Issue: No user-mapping for bind-mounts. For Windows this does not matter, because the folders are shared via some (pretty slow) abstraction layer and are mapped to the appropriate user. When you run your code using Linux, the user within the Docker is either root, which has user id 0, or some created user, which most likely has user id 1000. If you run your code using the root user, all created files belong to root and there are some scripts that don't run as root (mostly for safety reasons). If you run as user with the ID 1000 you won't have access to the files, as the Linux user who owns the files most likely has a different user-id.
VSCode solves this by changing the user-id of the default user after startup.

There are two quick solutions, besides adding support to Eclipse:

* Make sure the user with id 1000 has access to the files. Something you can do on your own system, but is not something you want to support for other people.
* Use root within the docker-image, pass the user-id of the linux-user into the container. Then, in the entrypoint, create a new user with that user-id and change to that user. I however did not research the best way to pass the user-id into the container.
* Similar to the latter, but detect the user-id based on the owner of the the current work-directory.

Cheers
Morty