Re: [cdt-dev] Introduction

On 2016-07-17, 5:44 AM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
c.sell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
c.sell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>my name is Christian Sell and I just newly subscribed to this list,
>partly because I consider contributing some to the advancement of CDT.

Hi Christian! Welcome. Any help and contribution would be much appreciated.

>I am mainly a Java programmer by background but have moved to C++
>since 2 years. I initially used CLion (from Jetbrains) as my IDE but
>am now forced to use Eclipse, which I don't mind because I have almost
>a decade of using Eclipse's Rich Client Platform and programming
>Eclipse plugins for various purposes on my back. That is apart from
>using it as my Java IDE for as long as it exists.
>
>My current main areas of interest with regard to CDT are CMake and Qt,
>because I have a fairly large hobby project on my hands that is based
>on these technlologies and could benefit from close IDE integration.
>My ideal would be to be able to import the several dozen
>interdependent CMake projects (OBJECT, SHARED, STATIC and EXECUTABLE
>targets, macros, functions and custom commands) into eclipse and be
>able to seamlessly continue development there (and be able to switch
>back to CLion when desirable). Since the application is based on
>QtQick, I'd appreciate full QML editor support as well. I don't care
>for qmake or QtCreator projects.
>
>My first impression of the CMake and Qt related stuff in CDT is not
>very good, they both look like they are long ways from supporting my
>scenario. This is why, as I said, I am considering to put some work
>into getting them there. So, if anyone cared to tell me in what state
>these components are, what the plans for the future are, and whether
>and in what way I could help, I'd appreciate it.

Both of these are areas where I am actively working. We¹ve added a lot of
functionality for Qt over the last year, including a QML editor. But as
you suggest, they are really just at the beginning and need a lot more
work.

The CMake support we have is very early. I don¹t think it¹s even in the
build artifacts yet. But I am looking to CMake as a great way to support
multi-platform builds just as qmake does, and especially as a way to
support building third party libraries for QNX, such as Eclipse Paho. I¹m
even considering it for our microcontroller support beyond Arduino, like
the ESP8266 running FreeRTOS which I will be using for a hobby project.

We might have a difference of strategy though. My thoughts were to have
CMake projects as single projects rooted at the directory you point cmake
at meaning it could contain many executables and libraries in a single
project. Combined with EGit¹s newer support for submodules, it just feels
like a more natural way to work. And it¹s something we¹ve been doing at
QNX for a while with BSP projects which contain multiple drivers (which
are executables with QNX¹s microkernel architecture) and libraries and
such.

At any rate, take a look at the latest code we have in master to see where
we are. Think of what you¹d like to work on and we can work together to
decide the best approaches.

Cheers!
Doug.