Re: [cdt-dev] Qt qmake and initial thoughts on new build model

There are 2 things I really do not understand.
1) If everything is read from the configuration files provided by arduino, why is there a dependency on gcc?
2) What is the added value of having 2 fully open sourced arduino plugins on top of CDT?

On 08/27/2015 02:49 AM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Yes, the CDT Arduino plug-in now reads the package_index.json, library_index.json, boards.txt, platform.txt, etc. files and does all the right things for the selected board in the Launch Bar. Nothing is hardcoded, except right now that the toolchains are GCC. And yes, all toolchains I’ve seen for “Arduino” including ESP8266 and the Intel boards are GCC. GCC supports pretty much every architecture and OS and not-OS in the Arduino and other microcontroller cases which is why CDT concentrates so much on it.

And it’s knowledge of the toolchain which drives CDT’s great features including content assist, open declaration, and search for references. It really needs to be there to provide a great user experience.

Doug

From: <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM
To: "cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Qt qmake and initial thoughts on new build model

My knowledge of toolchain implementations is very limited.  It never crossed my mind that the ARM toolchain could be a GCC compiler.

I only know that Due and Zero are both ARM based Arduino boards. They do not use the same toolchain as the "avr based" products. (read it is a different folder with different files)
Now I think of it.
The galileo is an arduino board based on intel. Again has its own toolchain.

Arduino IDE has completely opened-up for other platforms. For instance the ESP8266 processor boards work with arduino IDE. Again a different toolchain.

I do not know whether these toolchains are all gcc based toolchains or not. I do know that arduino IDE requirement for a toolchain is basically "have a command line interface". The only limitation I see for gcc toolchains (whatever that may be) is in the consistency of the output for parsing reasons. Part of the parsing (size of the sketch) is already in the platform.txt file.

Please note that all this is supported by the arduino eclipse plugin based on CDT.

PS Arduino and microsoft have announced to be collaborating. I expect a board using the visual studio toolchain to arrive one day.