Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[cdt-dev] Fixed bug 307311

Dear members of the Eclipse CDT mailing list,

I've fixed bug 307311 and attached a corresponding patch - see

It brings UTF-8 Unicode support to the Eclipse CDT debugging views.

The patch works well for me, but a short review might cover the following things which I'm not quite sure about (I'm new to Eclipse developing):

1) Changes have been made to the class contained within the package org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.output, but what about the package org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core.output? (It seems to contain duplicate code?)

2) MIVarEvaluateExpressionInfo and MIDataEvaluateExpressionInfo should probably call MIConst.getString instead of MIConst.getCString in order to support UTF-8 for evaluated expressions, too, if this has no other side effects (I didn't notice any, at least).

3) This patch relies on the following gdb options:
--> gdb's "host-charset" must be set to "UTF-8" (if it's not, the patch may not recognize all UTF-8 strings correctly). CDT users can do this via the .gdbinit file, but a separate Eclipse preference option would be handier (possibly conveniently defaulting to "UTF-8"). --> gdb's "print sevenbit-strings" must be set to "on" (again, if it's not, the patch may not recognize all UTF-8 strings correctly). This however is the default setting anyway for the gdb/mi interface.

I'd be happy about any feedback / comments. Thank you very much for your valued time and work.

Best regards,
Mathias Kunter

Back to the top