[cdt-dev] Signals view in CDT debugger

I've started looking at the DSF parity task for the Signals view. I figured the first thing I should do is see the feature in action with a CDI session. Upon taking it for a spin, my first reaction was: are people really using this feature? The reason I had that reaction is that CDT makes no attempt to remember the settings from one debug session to another. Finding the signal you want to disable in the sea of available signals is cumbersome to begin with. Changing the values for the signal is also nothing to sneeze at (requires too many clicks for my tastes). But the kicker is that if after you've done all that, prepare to do it again the next time you launch a debug session...for the same program or any other one. I imagine cmdline gdb users would employ a script that they could quickly and easily execute to tweak the signal properties, so the gdb feature itself may be useful. I just question whether the corresponding CDT view feature is, given its current design.

If it isn't, we should put it in the low-priority parity bucket and not consider it on the day we eventually decide whether or not to keep DSF-GDB as the default for CDT 7.0.

Thoughts?

John

Back to the top