[cdt-dev] Future of debugger console

Hi,
currently we are using gdb/CDI for our target debugging. Well, at least some people in our team use it. Whenever I suggest others to use Eclipse/CDT/CDI for their debugging needs, I get a lot of complaints about the "unusable console".
Power users are quite used to type commands in a gdb console for special stuff. Some of them have used gdb directly for years, or a different GUI like Insight/gdb. They often have little snippets of gdb commands somewhere in a notes.txt, that get pasted to the console over and over. Of course, this is nothing that is needed by novices, but experienced users are common in the embedded world :-)

The biggest complaints concerning the console in Eclipse are:
  • no command history (scrolling up through previous commands)
  • no command repetition with the Return key
  • no prompt (as a visual sign that a command has finished)
  • no protocol file (to save commands and output for later processing)
  • no aliases (?)
  • no auto completion for variable names or other stuff
As far as I can see there were no enhancements in these areas with DSF. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So it wouldn't help to switch to DSF/gdb.

Are there any plans to enhance the debugging console in the ways described?
Is there anybody else here who sees the need for this?

All the best,  Achim

Back to the top