Re: [cdt-dev] module specific source lookup

Btw for CDI we have an option to set breakpoints based on absolute file name in this case it does not need a source lookup and resolve locations properly
(for breakpoints at least)

Alexiev, Dobrin wrote:
Hello, I am in the process of integrating our backend debugger in Eclipse using the DSF framework. Here is one use case I need to satisfy. The user is debugging a program that has multiple modules (DLLs, shared objects). Each of the modules (DLLs, shared objects) is compiled separately - the source files for that module are in their own directory structure. Most importantly - the names of the source files compiled into different modules can be the same but they really are different files. For example "main.c" can appear in many modules. The user suspends the program. The Debug View shows stack frames from different modules. Some of the frames point to a source files with the same name - "main.c" but different module. The debugger will properly identify which "main.c" is from which directory structure because the module name plus the source file name will uniquely identify the location of the source file. In some cases the OUT file can be moved away from the location it was built. In these cases the user will be prompted to specify the path to one of the source files for that module. The rest of the source files will be found automatically. The information the user entered will be specific for that module and won't be used to perform source lookup for other modules. I think the main idea here is: A soruce location is based not only on source file name but also on module name. That will provide more accurate information to perform source lookup. If other people think this approach for source lookup makes sense and will benefit other users, I could open a Bugzilla entry and further discuss the requirements, design and implementation for this use case.
Thanks
Dobrin