Re: Headless build [was Re: [cdt-dev] RIP Wascana, Build System discussion]

2009/5/26 Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>:
> For me too, trying to figure out how to add a -framework flag to the linker
> was an exercise in frustration itself and at one point, I was writing my own
> wizard with a new project by unzipping a template project with all the
> metafiles set up correctly because the documentation was next to useless.

If you get stuck like this, do email the list. It's likely someone's
been there before you and can point you in the direction of a
solution.

> Code can certainly evolve faster than documentation. That doesn't
> necessarily mean it should. But for projects with longevity, particularly
> those where it's important to encourage growth over time within a communtiy,
> documentation is the torch that gets passed from one generation to the
> next.
> Code without unit tests is deemed less valuable than code with. The same
> should be true of features without documentation.

I think everyone's in agreement on this. Unfortunately there's a huge
amount of existing undocumented code which can't be fixed overnight.
Developers adding documentation as they fix bugs will help,
contributors submitting patches with documentation would also help.

In some sense this is the _easiest_ way for the community to get
involved and help make CDT better.  It seems that everyone values good
documentation, so why don't people post their FAQs & solutions to the
wiki?  We're all guilty of this, and I know that everyone's busy, but
if every other person who has an issue resolved on the mailing list
added an entry to the FAQ, we would go a long way to solving learning
curve issues...

Seriously, if you've got some gem from the mailing list / news group,
add it to the FAQ!  It's all well and good complaining there's nothing
there, but if no one's willing to contribute it will stay that way.
Seriously, help the poor guy after you by contributing, you know you
want to :)!

Cheers,
James