Re: [cdt-dev] Committing without a bug number - commit process

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 15:17 +0100, James Blackburn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In reviewing some bugs, I noticed some non-trivial recent commits
> which didn't reference a bug id.  The process, as I understand it, is
> for a commit to reference bug numbers so that someone coming along in
> n-months / years time has a hope of finding out why the line of code
> changed... It also allows others CCd to the inbox to have an idea of
> what changes are taking place.
>
> Without such a policy it's difficult (impossible?) to known when a
> file/feature you're interested in has changed. It's also difficult to
> know what has been fixed release to release if not all changes are
> internalised in bugzilla.
>
> Do we already have a policy on this? Is it important? (Our bug process
> - http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/Bugs - details how bugs changes form,
> but doesn't state that a bug is required in the first place.)

I'd say it's a best practice at the least. Unfortunately not everyone
follows it, which is why we have the cvslogs on the nightly build page
to track the actual changes that get made. If a change was made that
affected you, feel free to bring it up here. A gentle reminder never
hurts.

Doug.

Back to the top