[cdt-dev] Committing without a bug number - commit process

Hi All,

In reviewing some bugs, I noticed some non-trivial recent commits
which didn't reference a bug id.  The process, as I understand it, is
for a commit to reference bug numbers so that someone coming along in
n-months / years time has a hope of finding out why the line of code
changed... It also allows others CCd to the inbox to have an idea of
what changes are taking place.

Without such a policy it's difficult (impossible?) to known when a
file/feature you're interested in has changed. It's also difficult to
know what has been fixed release to release if not all changes are
internalised in bugzilla.

Do we already have a policy on this? Is it important? (Our bug process
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/Bugs - details how bugs changes form,
but doesn't state that a bug is required in the first place.)

Cheers,

James

Back to the top